Morigerati is a small hilly town in the province of Salerno, located in the National Park of Cilento, Vallo di Diano and Alburni, just few km from Policastro Gulf; the place name derives from the Greek word "muriké" (broom) or "murgia" (hill).
The origin of the village dates back to a Basilian monks settlement who, during the VIII century, moved to the Southern Italy in order to escape from persecution. The town developed around the Church of San Demetrio and maintained its urban shape over the centuries.
Sites of interest:
- the historical center of Morigerati, characterized by narrow cobbled streets with beautiful portals and courtyards;
- the historical center of Sicilì, village of Morigerati, located on the slope of Monte Mamino;
- the sanctuary of San Demetrio, built by the Basilian monks, was rebuilt during the XIV century, undergoing a radical transformation in the XIX-XX century;
- the Chapel of Madonna dei Martiri;
- the Church of San Biagio;
- the Church of SS. Annunziata;
- the Baronial castle, built in 1300 and transformed into a noble residence in 1400, today is characterized by a courtyard, an upper floor with terrace, original furnishings, frescoes and wooden ceilings;
- the ancient ironworks in Valle della Corte, built in the XIX century, is a beautiful example of industrial archeology in the Cilento area. Just few meters there are the remains of a Medieval bridge;
- the Ethnographic Museum, located inside an historical building, collects tools and artifacts related to rural life;
- "Bussento Caves" WWF Oasis, about 600 hectares of protected area with a superb view: after an underground route, the Bussento river reappears near Morigerati in a spectacular pit dug by the river.