The town's name derives from the Latin name "Rufrius", to which has been added the suffix "-anus", that indicates ownership. Municipality in the province of Salerno, located in the Cilento, between Monte Sacro and Centaurino, in the upper valley of the river Mingardo, the small centre still preserves its original medieval structure, with a network of stairs and alleys that stand out between the green environment of its surroundings, thanks to the whiteness of its houses.
The center, built on a hill near to a Basilian monastery, was founded around the year 1000 by some farmers, to shelter from the continuous bandit attacks. These monks, of Greek origins, introduced, among the local people of the area, agricultural techniques and their uses and costumes. The houses were built around the ancient basilica and gradually degraded down the hillside. In a following period, the urban core was surrounded by a fortified wall with three gate entrances, one equipped with a watchtower. The fief, over the centuries, was subject to the domain of various noble families. In the XIX century Rofrano was part of the territories of Laurito, in the District of Vallo, while at the turn of the century, it became part of the territories of Vallo della Lucania.
- the Parish Church of San Nicola, of antique foundation, at present features forms implemented during renovations completed in the XVIII century. It presents three naves, already recognizable from the outside: a central building surmounted by a pediment and two small side aisles, more minute, each with its sloping roof pitch. The façade is embellished by a niche with a statue and series of mullioned windows. The building is flanked by a Bell Tower, with slim and original forms, arises from a square shaped base and is topped by a drum shaped roof. The apse houses a rectangular wooden XVIII century choir;
- the Sanctuary of Santa Maria in Grottaferrata, a simple and at the same time imposing structure. Within are preserved a XV century wooden Crucifix and a venerated statue of the Madonna and Child;
- the Church of Santa Maria features an impressive façade, embellished a beautiful portal, two side niches and a central rose window. Covered by a gabled roof and flanked, at the rear, by an imposing Bell Tower. It consists of two structures, of which the lower one is larger than the upper one;
- the Church of St. Anne in the historic center;
- the Old Town and the Gate entrance of Sant'Antuono, one of three medieval main entrances to the main centre, which preserves an inscription that reminds the participation of local knights in the second Crusade.